Get to know me
Get to know me on a personal level
It seems unfair that if you choose to work with me, I will get to learn so much about you, and you will know so little about me. Some of you may prefer it that way, if so, that’s great, this next section is not for you. If you are interested in learning more about me, I have included some facts that may give you a snapshot of who you are choosing to enter into psychotherapy with. As always, if you have any questions about me, or my therapeutic modalities or philosophies, please just ask me.
- I grew up a military brat and became a military spouse giving me 45+ years living “a military lifestyle.” Veterans and their families hold a very special place in my heart.
- I lived in Australia from ages 6-9 for 3 years, my brother and I developed such strong Aussie accents, our own grandparents couldn't understand us!
- My father served three tours Vietnam Veteran (he left for the first time when I was six weeks old) and he is my personal hero (as well as my mom for sticking with all that!)
- I was a special education teacher, working with kids who struggled with behavioral issues in a psychiatric hospital when a 13 year old girl inspired me to become a counselor.
- I played tennis at the collegiate level!
- I have been married for 30+ years to my best friend from high school and we met while our Dads were stationed at the same Army post in Pennsylvania.
- We have three adult children, our kids were born all within three years, the last one while we both were in graduate school… yes, it was chaotic and insane! We are so grateful that our kids are best friends, and they are the absolute pride and joy of our lives, always have been, always will be!
- The beach is my favorite place in the world – Mexico, Hawaii, South of France, as much as possible, and I LOVE to travel!
- I LOVE to take photographs of people, not really landscapes… where are the people?
- As an empty-nester, my baby is my Maltese-Yorkie puppy (she’s 9 now) Rosie, such a bundle of attitude all wrapped up in 9 whopping pounds.
- I have taught lots of college classes for several universities, including UAA and really enjoy it, but it’s been a while.
How I practice
- I am a safe/calm place for you to share your story and to grow into the person you want to become, without any judgement, that’s the amazing thing about therapy.
- I am committed to helping you become exactly who you want to, even if you don't see that right now... and we can figure that out together.
- I am experienced, trustworthy, and very client centered (meaning I strive to make it all about you and your goals).
- I see myself as a member of my client’s team, not the leader of their team, we work collaboratively, and I will not tell my clients how to live their lives.
- I work with sensitivity and compassion, I know this process is not easy, my job is to reduce your anxiety and help you reach YOUR personal goals.
- My personal philosophy is, keep what is working, throw out what isn’t and try something new, if that doesn’t work, try and try again!